5K,

The Anti-Athlete Ran a 5K!!!

6:54 PM Kelly 1 Comments


I am absolutely proud of myself and still slightly in shock that I ran 3.1 miles! I have never been an athlete. I danced but was never that good at it. I played softball but was given "Most Spirited Player." Gym class was my least favorite class ever.

I remember having to run the mandatory mile
in gym class and I once intentionally tripped over a cone to get out of running the mile.

Pretty sure up until I ran the 5K my dads proudest moment was the pop fly I caught once during softball. To this day, I think I was shielding my eyes when the ball fell into my mitt! I am pretty sure I got the point across that I was very much a non-athlete.

My big sister Sara started running a few years ago. I got to go and support her when she ran her first 5K and I think her second. It was so very inspiring and I kept thinking, "I will never achieve something like this." Last year something clicked for me and I decided I wanted to work towards that accomplishment. I started doing Couch to 5K that my sister recommended for me.


At Sara's first 5K!!

If interested, check it out here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started running and was so stoked when I was able to run 20 minutes and my confidence was so high! I even registered for my first 5K! Then a few days later I started having terrible
stomach pains and ended up having to get my gall bladder removed. After the surgery I couldn't exercise for 4 weeks. Once I recovered and could run again, any progress I had made was gone. I was beyond frustrated and gave up.


A couple of months ago I finally got back the ambition to give the 5K another shot. I started Couch to 5K again and slowly worked my way up to running the 3.1 miles. I registered for the run with my sister Sara. It kept me motivated and working out. The day of the 5K, my confidence still was low and I did not think I could do it. Having my sister by my side, I felt like I could do it. The run started out great. I felt good. Right before mile 2 there was a terrible hill. I had been training on a treadmill so I did not think I could do it. I ended up probably walking a minute.

I didn't think I was going to finish but I did!!!! My best time on the treadmill was 49 minutes.
When I turned the corner and saw the finish line and that I finish in under 45 minutes I took off. I crossed the finished like at 43:05!!!! One of the best feelings ever and will be doing it again May 12! Hopefully not walking that time!!


Crossing the finish line baby!!!



Sara and I after the run!

With my husband who came out to support me!

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. you've accomplished my recent goal for myself! thanks for inspiring me to keep pushing! hopefully I'll get there just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete